Derry City Reserves 4 Fanad United 2 2017-09-03 17:58:00

Derry City Reserves 4 Fanad United 2

Derry City Reserves twice came from behind to defeat Fanad United 4-2 in an entertaining Donegal News League Cup game in Templemore. 

Fanad started the stronger and took the lead in the 10th minute when following a marauding run and cross by Keelin McElwaine, Darragh Black finished neatly inside the box. Fanad had a chance to extend the lead 10 minutes later but Kyle Black seen his shot fly just wide. 

Derry came back into the game and equalised 2 minutes before the break. After Fanad keeper Dane Dunworth made an outstanding block in the box but the rebound fell to Adam Taggart who finished into the bottom corner from the edge of the box. Fanad almost regained the lead immediately when Darragh Black sprung the offside trap only to see his lob over Derry keeper Houghton come back off the crossbar. 

At the start of the second half Fanad missed a host of chances to regain the lead. Darragh Black in particular was unlucky after his superb turn and shot went inches wide. 

Other chances fell to Kyle Black and Davitt Walsh. Fanad did eventually took the lead in the 75th minute when Matthew Crossan finished into the bottom corner from outside the box. 

This goal spurred Derry into life and they equalised two minutes later. After a fine run down the right the ball was played into the box where Mickey Place made no mistake. 

Ten minutes from time Derry took the lead when Michael Sweeney capitalised on a slip in the Fanad defence, to run clear and finish past a helpless Dunworth. 

In the final minute Derry got their fourth in almost identical circumstances when Dylan Devine scored. 

Derry City Reserves: Daniel Houghton, Jack Parke, Matty Doherty, Kieron Farren, Luke Campbell, Paul Doherty, James McIntyre, Adam Taggart, Stephen Duffy, Mickey Place, Matty Doherty.

Fanad United: Dane Dunworth, Conor Blaney, Oisin Langan, Martin McAteer, Matthew Crossan, Tony McNamee, Jordan Toland, Keelin McElwaine, Davitt Walsh, Darragh Black, Kyle Black.

Referee: Marty Quinn.